Ivan Vegvary

Default OT electrical question

I'm trying to wire 3-way switches on either side of a ceiling lamp. The
power initiates at one of the switches. I've got the wiring scheme figured
out but I have a problem.

Prior to installing the lamp fixture I decided to check the switch functions
(at the ceiling lamp) with this simple $ 1.00 neon tester. With the switch
on the neon tester gives full brightness, with switch off it still lights
up, but very dim.

Disconnected all of the wires everywhere and come up with the following:

At 3-way switch I have a ground, black, red & white wire (only the ground
and the white have been connected to others). I'll call the black and red
wire "shuttle wires". These same wires are dangling, unconnected, at the
ceiling. Nothing is hooked up. Ground to power is 118.5v. White to power
is 118.5v. Ground to white is 0v. IF I connect the "shuttle" black to
power (as if the switch would also do) I get 30± volts on the totally
disconnected (both ends) red "shuttle" wire. An ohm reading between the
unconnected "shuttle" wires reads open (my ohm meter only goes to 20
megohms).

Is the only answer that somewhere in the wall the black and red "shuttle"
wires have slightly shorted, giving me 30± volts? These are brand new walls
in finished space and I'd hate to tear out the sheetrock and wires. Note
that all of the above is with the 3-way switches in my pockets, i.e.,
totally out of the equation.

BTW, if I ignore all of the above, I get 60±volts at the ceiling in the
switch off position. Turning either switch to the on position gives me my
118.5v. The 60 volts is not enough to light a bulb, so, I am tempted to
ignore it. Is this dangerous?

All advice greatly appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary