Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

Default Clausing spindle bearings-help!

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 09:19:49 -0500, "Terry Keeley" tkee(no spam)@(or
mail)rogers.com wrote:

Here's a good diagram of the different arrangemenats and their symbology:

http://www.nhbb.com/engineering/precision/preload.cfm

Way cool. Thanks for the link.

The OmniTurn CNC lathes use a spindle cartridge, with spring preload
...there are 8 springs pressing on a plate that presses against the
back angular contact bearing. They too..are in the configuration,
with a cylinder between them.

Im going to have to swap out a cartridge later this week. I tried to
rebuild one from this particular customer several years ago...

The later Omnis use a low pressure air line to provide positive
pressure on the spindle cartridge, to assist in keeping the coolant
out of the spindle bearings. This particular shop is right next to the
Pacific ocean..and until they finally listened to me...after years of
****ing and moaning on my part..installed a high performance dryer at
their air compressors..had a water issue with their air. To the point
of the operators would regularly use their air guns to stage water
fights in the shop.

When I pulled the cartridge and opened it up..it was a solid mass of
rust. I have photos if anyone wants to see what water does to a $5000
spindle cartridge over a period of years....

So this one..which has had very very wet spindle purge air applied to
it for years....Im simply going to exchange the cartridge...and let
the rebuilder deal with it. Its gotta be grim inside....

Im also scheduled to do a spindle bearing replacement on a DV-59
tommorow. Hummm Ill ask the company if I can document the process with
photos and post em for yall. They are a aerospace fastener
company..so may be a bit..reticent. It would be nice to go along with
that FAQ I wrote a few years agon on the process.

The DV-59 will be nearly identical in process as the HC chuckers, etc
etc.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner