jim rozen

Default Hounsfield Tensometer conversion

In article ,
says...

The Hounsfield Tensometer works on a lever system that compresses a
leather bag containing mercury. As tension is increased, the mercury
is pushed up a glass tube, the length of the column indicating tension
on an adjacent scale. I would like to get rid of the mercury. Any
ideas on a method of conversion to alternate reading method please.

Leather bag? Mercury?? When was this thing manufactured?
Next you're gonna tell me it uses Plutonium Tri-Arsenide as
a muffler bearing lubricant.

Anywhere, I would suggest replacing the leather bag with
a stainless steel bellows, and replace the mercury manometer
with something like a pressure transducer. Does this item
measure force, or displacement, or a combination of both?

Jim

please reply to: