Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house,misc.rural
Jim Ledford

Default Woodstove "taco" fire builder!

Joe wrote:

for starting a fire in a wood stove get one bag of cedar
pet bedding. just one. use a small handful underneath
your seasoned red oak. light cedar with stick match.
never seen it fail. one bag will last all season and
don't use more than a handful cause cedar burns like
it's been soaked in kerosene.

Doesn't cedar put off dangerous smoke? i.e. bad for the chimney and/or
health of those around?

that's why I suggested people only use a little bit.

I could be wrong. Maybe I am confusing it's not-use with my food smoking
hobby facts... I KNOW you shouldn't use cedar to cook with...

makes food taste like kerosene. I ain't met anyone
yet who likes their food tasting like that.