Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

Default Electrically conductive paint?

"Dallas" wrote in message
k.net...

"default"
ANYONE FINDS THE ANSWER TO THIS ONE . . . pLEASE pOST.

Update on my repair adventures today:

First this is not a remote control, it's a $ 1200.00 medical device I'm
fixing for my neighbor. They won't send you a keypad because they don't
do
parts. Accessing the keypad takes about 7 screws and 3 minutes. They
want
the patient to rent one and send the broken unit to them to fix for
hundreds
of dollars. *******s.

The first attempt was using the Window Defogger repair paint. I could not
get the silver paint that I've heard about, instead Permatex sells a new
kit
called "Complete Rear Window Defogger Repair Kit". Long story short, that
paint actually flaked off the surface with no effort.

Next, I tried to stick a tab of adhesive aluminum duct tape to the pad but
the area is too small to hold the tape. Next I tried to glue the piece of
aluminum duct tape with E6000. No way... pops right off the surface.

Then I tried aluminum duct tape using super glue and it adhered nicely. I
think the key here is that the vinyl pad won't hold paint or contact
cements, they peel right off. I think the solvent in the super glue
etches
the vinyl and makes a very nice adhesion. So far so good.

I'm guessing the aluminum duct tape is a better choice than aluminum foil
because of its increased thickness.

Anyway, God Bless Usenet, I can't even remember how many times it's
provided
answers that would have been impossible to get before the Internet.

Thanks

Dallas

Have you tried my pad substitution method detailed some distance further up
the thread ? Works well for me ...

Arfa