Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

Default Monochrome monitor questions?

"James Sweet" wrote in message
news:cmSkf.4544$H84.2879@trnddc04...
SomeBody wrote:
I'm repairing a few monochrome monitors, these are 9" in size.

The problem I'm having is the screen has vert. lines spaced about every
1/2 in, they are about 1/2" in width. I believe it would be called
ghosting?

The pc board consist of some discreet components and two IC chips.
TDA1175 (vert) and TDA1180 (Hor). Both chips have been replaced as well
as
the tube.

Any ideas what the problem could be, an area to look at?
I have a copy of a schematic, but don't now how to post it here for
viewing.

Thanks.
Jeff

If it's got vertical lines that's jailbars, you need to replace the
capacitor that filters the B+ to the video amp, on color monitors it's
normally on the neck board, on mono monitors it can be there or on the
main board.

It can also be striations due to velocity modulation of the H-scan. It's
common to have a line linearity coil in series with the H-deflection yoke
windings on monochrome monitors. There is usually a damping resistor across
this coil, to stop it ringing immediately after the flyback ( retrace )
period. This resistor commonly goes open circuit, allowing the coil to ring,
producing the velocity modulation of the beam as a result of the decaying
sine wave that then gets impressed on the rising sawtooth.

Arfa