Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dallas

Default Electrically conductive paint?

"default"
ANYONE FINDS THE ANSWER TO THIS ONE . . . pLEASE pOST.

Update on my repair adventures today:

First this is not a remote control, it's a $ 1200.00 medical device I'm
fixing for my neighbor. They won't send you a keypad because they don't do
parts. Accessing the keypad takes about 7 screws and 3 minutes. They want
the patient to rent one and send the broken unit to them to fix for hundreds
of dollars. *******s.

The first attempt was using the Window Defogger repair paint. I could not
get the silver paint that I've heard about, instead Permatex sells a new kit
called "Complete Rear Window Defogger Repair Kit". Long story short, that
paint actually flaked off the surface with no effort.

Next, I tried to stick a tab of adhesive aluminum duct tape to the pad but
the area is too small to hold the tape. Next I tried to glue the piece of
aluminum duct tape with E6000. No way... pops right off the surface.

Then I tried aluminum duct tape using super glue and it adhered nicely. I
think the key here is that the vinyl pad won't hold paint or contact
cements, they peel right off. I think the solvent in the super glue etches
the vinyl and makes a very nice adhesion. So far so good.

I'm guessing the aluminum duct tape is a better choice than aluminum foil
because of its increased thickness.

Anyway, God Bless Usenet, I can't even remember how many times it's provided
answers that would have been impossible to get before the Internet.

Thanks

Dallas