Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G.

Default Segmented Turning Glue-up Jig

Greetings,

Has anyone tried something like this for holding segments tightly
together for glue-ups? I use a band clamp now, but was just thinkin'.

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoctor/segmentjig2.htm

The silver things are threaded rods with a handle (not shown).
A jig this size, 16" x 16" could glue up everything from a 2" diameter
to a 12" diameter ring. Not shown is the round cawl that screws down
over the whole mess when finished, to keep the rings flat against the
bed of the jig.

You could set-up the positions of everything before gluing, rotate
each screw out 1 turn, glue a segment, replace - ad nauseam - and then
tighten the screws again to achieve even pressure and a one-time
glue-up. If you work very fast, that is... You could really put the
squeeze on a ring with this thing.

Aside from the 6 feet of all-thread and construction time, I wonder if
this would work well enough to bother building...?

Thanks,

Greg G.