Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Dodd

Default Suggestions? - Wall bracket to hold heavy screen away from wall

david lang wrote:
Mike Dodd wrote:

Upstairs = chipboard floor panels (new build home),

The chipboard panels will be screwed or nailed to the joists - just look at
which way the screws/nails go, that must be the direction of the joists.

Dave

Ok, It turns out that the joists do run parallel with the window, at 16"
distance from window. After much sucking of teeth (and glares from
SWMBO) I decided to try putting some eyes straight into the joist at
16", but with the advantage that I could select the correct centres for
the screen (210cm).

End result - looks surprisingly ok (even SWMBO agrees it looks much
better than she'd feared) - blends in with the coving well, and the
extra distance from the wall does introduce some benefits (cats can jump
up and down from the window sill without hitting the screen - avoids
those "Alien" stomach exploding moments in the most inappropriate of films).

Thanks to all for advice.

Mike