Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house,misc.rural
JazzMan

Default Woodstove "taco" fire builder!

TT wrote:

To expound on that, you can make your own firelogs (like the storebought
ones) with sawdust and leftover candle wax saved from burned down candles.

I usually make this stuff in the kitchen with an old large pot, but you may
want to make it oustide on a turkey fryer burner or something for safety
reasons.

Melt the wax down slowly but MAKE SURE TO KEEP IT BELOW THE SMOKING POINT.
If it starts smoking turn off the heat as it's plenty hot and is in risk of
catching fire.

Pour in sawdust/woodchips/paperscrap, etc. You want it to be sortof a
doughlike consistency. Add the sawdust slowly so as not to get too much
sawdust to where the mixture won't stay caked together. You want just enough
candle wax to keep it caked together.

Stir with a branch or something you don't care about.

Use an old scoop/trowel/etc to scoop it out on a flat piece of metal. You
can form it into nice log shapes or just leave it in lumps. Allow it to cool
until hard.

Burn just about anywhere you'd burn a regular log.

All the smaller stuff, 1", I piled up into an enormous
brush pile. The pile is around 9' tall, 7' wide and 10-12'
long. I have been wondering if there was some way to chip
it up into uniform bits and bind the bits together into
"logs" that would be uniform in size and combustion
characteristics. Unfortunately I don't have candles, so
whatever binding agent I use would need to be purchased.

JazzMan

Please reply to jsavage"at"airmail.net.
Curse those darned bulk e-mailers!