Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Adeqiate venting in the attic

mm wrote:
A friend is getting a new roof. She has a gable vent at each end of
the unfinisthed attic, about 40 feet from end to end, but I wondered
if it would still help to put a ridge vent along the ridge. What do
you think?

It's a one story house with basement. She runs the AC all summer.
She seems to have aluminum trim on all the soffitts, and I didn't see
any venting there, but it was practically dark out. At any rate, if
she needs more soffitt venting, it isn't an especially good time just
because she's getting a new roof, is it? She coudl as easily do it
later??

Same friend who had to pick a roof color:

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

If they are the right size and no one has covered over soffit vents, no
additional vents are needed and if those gable end vents are high on the
wall, the ridge vents may not help at all.

On the other hand if the existing vents are marginal or sub par, then
now is the time to improve the venting.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit