Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Don Klipstein

Default LED Xmas lights

In article , clifto wrote:
Don Klipstein wrote:
I sometimes see flicker in TVs and monitors set to 60 Hz. I usually see
flicker in monitors set to 56 Hz.

I also only sometimes see LED lights flickering when they have 60 Hz
flicker. I suspect that the flicker gets more visible when the light
source is more intense - possibly explaining why LEDs are more likely to
visibly flicker at 60 Hz than TVs and monitors are.

I'm going to say one word, and you decide if you still like your theory.

Persistence.

Monitors have very little and TV phosphors same or not much more.
Phosphor output is a fraction of peak within half a millisecond, although
sometimes they have a dim afterglow that fades more slowly than that.

Try blocking all of a monitor or TV screen (CRT type of course) except
for a narrow horizontal strip. Then roll your eyes up and down.

- Don Klipstein )