Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim K

Default Sony SLV-N71 VCR Automatic Head Cleaner Removal

John-Del wrote:

There is an arm with a sponge roller that contacts the head during tape
doesn't make contact with the head (it shouldn't)

Thanks for the information.

I got it out... it lifted right off and the hub does not contact the
heads or the drum. The other VCR will be getting this same treatment.

It was, in fact, causing some problems. The foam was starting to break
down and flake off. It wasn't much, but it was enough to temporarily
clog the heads. It looks like it could eventually damage the heads by
getting caught on them, especially as it wears out more.

For future reference for anyone who finds this in a search, the auto
cleaner activates every time a tape is inserted or ejected (I watched
it). It is worth taking a few seconds to remove it before it damages the
heads.