Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Default Making a perfect snow shovel

Grain shovels are in fact Al - and are nice size.
I had one - gave it to my Dad for just that.

It was great.
The tip on wax is great. He lives in Az now - wonder were the shovel is.
I suspect given to a neighbor or used up.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus8020 wrote:

What I do not want is a shovel that would be either too heavy, or
would bend when it hits some object, and does not crack from long term
use.

I don't think there is such an animal as an aluminum shovel that's not
too heavy which won't eventually fatigue crack in use. However, there's
a common aluminum shovel that makes a fine snow shovel that holds up for
a fair number of years if only used for shoveling snow. Use it to chip
ice a lot or otherwise abuse it, and get what you deserve. A grain
shovel with a good wax job is the best thing available off the shelf -
big enough to move snow efficiently. A roundback squarenosed steel with
a wax job deals better with abuse, or very heavy wet glop, but is too
small for efficient moving of normal snow. MHO, WWYPFI.