Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Blueraven

Default Laying Bead on SS with MIG pretty messy.

Thanks for the help Wayne and Steve.

I just got thru with another practice session. I fnd out that at b-4 or
c-4 settings I can make a good bead.

I have to be closer in on the B setting than the C setting. C is higher
volts than B.

Also, I've fnd out that if i run it with very fast popping sound with
abt 1/4"+ stickout i can get a decent looking bead. If i hold very
close to the metal and get the fast popping I have to go much faster.

However, when i tried to weld up a plate perp to another plate, it
didnt seemt to work . Lots of splatter and more globs. I think i may be
trying to do it like i do with the arc welder. Yoo know, weaving with
the stick..

Shl i be able to do a smooth fillet weld wo weaving with the mig? I
think the ss on the plates may be better than that on the kegs. Its
scrap from Dowling-Bach and they make some real sturdy and professional
gear for the oil industry..

Anyway, if i pay close attention i seem to at least be able to make a
decent bead in the popping mode(Globular mode.)