Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

Default Clausing spindle bearings-help!

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 17:29:16 -0500, Ned Simmons
wrote:

In article ,
says...

When you preload

Can you explain that notation, please? Your post makes sense to me if
is face to face and is back to back, as illustrated here...
http://www.koyousa.com/KoyoCatalog/C...&c=020-020-010

I don't recall ever seeing that notation and it seems backwards from the
way bearings are usually drawn.

Ned Simmons

As you will notice..angular contact bearings are essentally cone
shaped in their bearing contacts. One side of the bearing has a wide
gap around the race, the other side has a much narrower gap.

They are designed to basicly be pushed from the wide..or thrust side,
so the bearings are forced deeper in to the cone.

Hence the being two cones facing each other with the thrust towards
each other being applied by the shaft and lock nut that pulls them
deeper into their respective cones.

If you reverse the arraingment in a fashion..the shaft and nut
Pulls the inner races away from the cone. Even with a preload cylinder
between them..thrust makes the bearing move towards the wide end of
the cone..away from full contact.
\-----\
----- thrust------
/___/

Even if the two cones are seperated by a short distance..they are
pulled deeper in the races by the lock nut.

I dont know the nomenclature for front and back..but only know them as
thrust side and the other side G and the thrust side (often plainly
marked as such) need to be on the outside of the bearing stack, and
pulled together, then the entire bearing group held tightly in the
housing. Ball screw thrust bearing (double bearing) packs have a
removable "cover" that is held in place by bolts/screws that keep the
outer races held rigidly in place.often with a very thin spacer that
contacts only the facing faces G of the outer race.

Hope that helped, not confused..and that diagram in your link..is
as you indicated

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner