Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,[email protected]
Vince Iorio

Default Clausing spindle bearings-help!

Like most of you all, I save everything ...

Here are the bearing numbers I received when buying the bearings from
Clausing several years ago (I still have the empty boxes).

Two Fafnir 7205W SU bearings. The boxes were taped together and I
believe they were the lower spindle bearing.

Two Fafnir 9105KDD bearings. I believe these were for the front pulley.

One Fafnir 204KDD bearing. I believe this was the upper spindle bearing.

One CR Services 13548 Oil Seal. This is for the bottom of the spindle.

As the directions posted by Mike says, the bearings are Back-to-Back.
As I think back to when I was doing this, I recall putting them in
backwards first. The advantage of the back to back configuration is
when pressing the bearings out you are NOT reverse loading them. In the
face to face configuration you are loading one of the bearings in the
wrong direction when pressing them out. This might be a problem if the
press is high, and you want to reuse the bearings.

IAW my Fafnir catalog, the "SU" means the bearings are packaged singly,
and can be used DB, DF or DT (Tandem). "DU" in place of "SU" means you
will get 2 "SU" bearings in one package. Might be a price brake that way.

There is a difference between the "W" and the "WN" that Mike quoted. I
don't see a 7205WN in the catalog, just a 7205W. The "W" has a 20 deg
contact angle, and the WN would have a 40 deg. It is only the smaller
sizes that are "W", so I am guessing that they are to small to make with
a 40 deg angle.

FWIW, after I got the bearings from Clausing, I priced them out from a
bearing house and they were about a 1/3 cheaper.

Hope this helps.

Vince

Mike Henry wrote:

FWIW, the replacement bearings I ordered from Clausing a few years ago are
Fafnir 7205WN SU. I haven't installed them yet, but it looks like it might
be necessary pretty soon. There are one or two files in the Yahoo Clausing
group that describe bearing replacement, I think. I've archived off two
from there or elsewhere, complete with pictures. Email me if you can't find
them at the Yahoo group.

Following is the only info that Clausing could supply me on the spindle
(note that no "sample" was attached):

ASSEMBLING SPINDLE AND QUILL ASSEMBLY FOR CLAUSING MILL

1. Press 044-005 bearings one at a time on 701-004 spindle. Apply pressure
on inner race only and use DB mounting as shown in instructions supplied
with bearing - sample attached.

2.Slide 932-011 lock tab washer on spindle with inner tab in keyway.

3. Turn 537-020 nut on spindle and tighten securely against inner race of
bearing. Bend a tab on the 932-011 lock washer into a matching slot of the
537-020 nut.

4. Place the spindle in the 631-001 quill - 044-005 bearings in the threaded
end.

5. Press the 044-006 bearing on the spindle as far as it will go - apply
pressure on inner race only and support spindle on nose only.

6. Assembly 708-001 oil seal in 641-008 retainer as shown in attached
sketch.

7. Turn 641-008 retainer in quill -firm but not too tight.

8. Place M6-214 lead ball in threaded hole in quill and lock retainer with
#10-32 x 3/16" socket set screw.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR REMOVING NO.8520-25 V-MILL SPINDLE ASSEMBLY

1. Remove (2) 1/4" socket set screws from No.537-014 knurled nut located on
top of spindle, then remove knurl nut from spindle.

2. Remove (4) 1/4" machine screws (2 on each side of guard) which screws
guard No.342-020 to head casting. remove guard by pulling forward.

3. Remove (4) screws which screws plate No.386-009 containing pinion and
compound gears. Tap plate lightly on edge while prying outward with screw
driver to remove from dowell pins.

4. Remove socket set screw in No.233-001 dial and lift or pry up on stop
screw No.696-007 until top of screw is against spindle pulley, push quill to
bottom position.

5. Remove 1/4-20 socket cap screw holding stationary stop to face of quill.
With stop removed, remove quill assembly from head, reverse procedure to
install quill. Caution --be sure when installing spindle pulley guard that
brake lever is engaged in brake ring slot.