dg

Default Fine crack in garage floor

Any short change or settlement would have presented itself much sooner
than 8 years.

It may be a natural shrinkage or movement caused by seasonal changes
in the ground or air moisture. Alternatively by constantly loading one
part of the floor with a car, this can cause uneven loading of the
slab and ground below leading to differential movement.

Unless the crack carries on getting bigger, damp starts to rise
through it, or similar movement occurs in adjacent walls then it can
be left alone - after all it is just a floor slab.

A cementeous grout, resin or even a polysulphide mastic can be used to
fill the crack if required. Alternastively cut out a proper movement
joint and fill with a flexible seal.

BTW, I find it curious how someone who knows "how stingey builders
are" can promote a handyman service involving building work.

dg

Andrew McKay wrote in message . ..
I have a double-width garage. I presume that when they originally
built the property (about 8 years ago) they laid the concrete floor in
two halves.

There's a crack developed more or less centrally between the two bays,
running about 80% of the distance front to back. The crack is nothing
serious (yet anyway), but I'm wondering whether it's something I ought
to be concerned about? If so, what should I be considering as my
options?

Knowing how stingey builders are it wouldn't surprise me if they
short-changed the concrete in the garage floor and this crack is due
to settlement, bearing in mind that there's a car parked on one side
and not the other (we are a one car family).

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk