Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Door knob problem

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 08:15:10 -0500, wrote:

Our home is approx. 120 years old and has nine doors using the glass
doorknobs with threaded spindles. The problem is that with time, the
knobs pull off the spindle and no amount of resetting and tightening
the set screw on the knob will keep them in place for longer than a
week or so.

At one point I wrapped a few rounds of teflon plumbers' tape around
the spindle thinking that it might increase the diameter enough to
create a better hold. This lasted a few weeks longer than usual but
eventually the knob pulled off the spindle.

I'm tempted to wrap some epoxy resin putty around the spindles for a
permanent solution but shudder at the thought of ever having to
replace them. Does anyone have a better solution?

It's not the spindle !

It's the locking screw.

Use LocTite on it.

rj