Posted to alt.home.repair
John F.

Default Electical Outlet Replacement Blues

I must be missing something: the slimeline square outlets have the same
side tabs to break off so you can split the receptacle into 2 circuits. Why
not wire it exactly as the old one?

"Peter H" wrote in message
.. .
Hi Group:

I offered to update my g/friend's kitchen electrical outlets to the newer,
square white ones, but am having trouble figuring out the wiring. The home
is a 1985 vintage greater Toronto Area home.

The problems started when I was trying to find the breakers for the
outlets.
These are just your standard wall, backsplash outlets. I expected to find
them on a single 15-amp breaker, but to my surprise they were on a double
breaker, like a heavy-duty appliance.

When I pulled one of the outlets off the wall to have a look I noticed
that
it was grounded, but also had a red, black and white line feeding them.

I'm assuming that this means the upper and lower sockets are on different
circuits and also assuming that this means that I'll need something
different than your standard outlet.

The relationship with the g/f's pretty solid, but I think I'd be pushing
things a bit if I burnt her place down. Any suggestions on the best way to
proceed would be appreciated.

tia

Peter H