Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism,alt.politics
Rod Speed

Default OT - Betting On Social Security?

John R. Carroll wrote
F. George McDuffee wrote

Everyone knows there is a sudden stop coming soon.

Nope.

I see no reason that the people who have been warning of this
for a long time, and have been hurt by the excesses should have
to help clean up the mess, but then again who else will be left?

The greatest threat to the American way of life is that we'll
get far enough from it that an orderly return won't be possible.

Its always possible.

They finally charged Jose Padilla ( a US citizen arrested in the
US mind you) here last week and the charges weren't especially
related to the reasons given during his 3 year detention. The
case was due a hearing before the U.S. Supreme Court and
the whispering was that the only reason the guy was charged
was to prevent the Supremes from declaring his detention,
and a goodly portion of the USA Patriot Act, unconstitutional.

Fantasy on that last.

This is the same USA Patriot act that is about to become permanent.

Like it or lump it.

Here's a little tidbit that ought to stop people in their tracks:

Nope.

WASHINGTON - US Secretary of State Condoleezza
Rice defended the unlimited detention of suspected
terrorists saying, in an interview published on Tuesday,
that it benefitted the United States and the entire world.

Corse it would.

"You can't allow somebody to commit the crime before you detain them"

She's right with that sort of terrorism, stupid.

In spades with the terrorists who are happy to kill themselves
in the process of doing their terrorist act, just a tad pointless
waiting till after they have blown themselves to bits, stupid.

I wish the court had decided to hear arguments in Padilla
and issue a ruling. I think they have that option regardless
of the status, but I'm not certain, and any ruling under those
circumstances would be qualified by it's very nature. I hate
to say it but I hope another case is brought, and the sooner
the better. The gravest danger the US faces today is what
is happening here at home and not in Iraq or elsewhere.

Wrong.

This is especially true when you consider the influence
corporate America has with legislative America. We
could end up at the point where an Enron can have
a competitor or whistleblower detained indefinitely
by prevailing on a guy like Tom Delay to have it done.

Mindless pig ignorant lie.

That's close to the truth right now

Mindless pig ignorant lie.

and manning the baricades might be closer than anyone thinks.

Not a shred of evidence that you and your ilk are actually capable of thought.