Posted to uk.d-i-y
NikV

Default Rubbish disposal, government regs and local councils

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes

Yes, of the two local councils I'm familiar with, one does this
and makes a profit out of it, which is fine by me.

Me too, as long as it goes into local services or is used to reduce
council tax.

It's looking like most councils will be changing the regular
refuse collection to every two weeks over the next year.

I think this is acceptable as long as provision is also made for
recycling refuse that would otherwise have gone into the bin (paper,
glass, garden waste, etc.) so that the bin doesn't fill up as quickly.
Judging by the bins on collection day though, I suspect that some
families will have trouble. We're still on weekly collection around
here.

its now happened here (council promised that the second bin was not in
preparation for a two weekly pick up), I now use a 4x2 clamped to the top of
the large plastic bin a bottle jack & metal plate to compress the rubbish
allowing it to last between collections - sometimes difficult to wheel this
monstrosity to the perimeter, I have seen occasions where two 'refuse
collection technicians' manhandled on to their lift. We still have a filled
(uncompressed) 'recycle' waste bin on the other week (3-kids 2 adult family)
and I compost my green/kitchen waste!!! (use the four woven backs for
storage in the shed - waste not want not :-))

--