Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Default Rubbish disposal, government regs and local councils

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember (Andrew
Gabriel) saying something like:

However, all the glass would be emptied into one single truck because
joe public is too stupid to put the bottles in the correct banks. The
glass is then sold as mixed.

Maybe that varies by location?

I've regularly seen the collection truck tip all 3 bottle banks into the
one opentop trailer. Makes a mockery of the whole thing, imo.

I've seen worse than that!

Wife works for local council and got involved in one of their fun days
for the public. The park where it was held was stocked with a plentiful
supply of various coloured bins, so that joe public could put glass in
one, paper in another etc.

A few days later, I was at the same place, waiting to pick her up. In
came the council's refuse contractors, who proceeded to empty every
single bin into the same wagon.

It turns out that only domestic rubbish is recycled. Industrial and
council waste is not paid for by the government, so they just bundle it
all in the same place.

Dave