Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

Default B&Q Rejecting Cash?

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
"Will Hay" writes:
Don't know if anyone else has had this experience recently but when I
tried
to buy some doors recently from my local B&Q in Leeds(On the ring road)
they
rejected some of the £20 notes I offered because the Queen's Head
watermark
was not dead centre in it's circle! The bank where I got the money from
told
me that the notes were absolutely genuine. While I was at B&Q I saw two
other people having their notes rejected. If I needed any additional
incentive not to shop at B&Q apart from the rip-off prices, this cavalier
humiliation of their customers is the final straw.

Makes me wonder -- IANAL, but if you offered valid legal tender for
the goods, I rather suspect they would find it very difficult to
prosecute you if you just walked off with them.

Legal tender only has meaning in the context of payment of a debt and then
it only means that, if you offer the exact amount of the debt in legal
tender, you cannot be sued for non-payment of the debt if the other person
refuses payment in that form. It has no meaning in day-to-day transactions,
which are a negotiated agreement between vendor and buyer. If the vendor
does not want to accept a particular mode of payment, for example, any pound
coin with a Welsh symbol on the obverse, that is entirely up to the vendor
and taking the goods after payment has been refused would be theft.

Colin Bignell