Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Default 20VDC into 14.5VDC charger - okay, or no?

The one amp is power available -- doesn't guarantee that any particular
device will use the entire amp. Like a 15 amp circuit in the house doesn't
guarantee that your plug in night light will take all 15 amps.

I'm not sure about charging nicads, but it's possible they will fast charge
if the power is available. Which it would be, with a 1 amp plug. I'd suggest
rather brief charging times, instead of overnight.

Second though. American Science and Surplus www.sciplus.com if I remember
the URL, has wall warts in assorted size and type.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"Fritz" wrote in message
oups.com...
My charger for my cordless drill recently stopped working. My drill is
dead as a doornail, and I've got projects pending. It's an off-brand
(Master Mechanic), and I've had some difficulty locating the
manufacturer. Efforts to purchase a new charger have gone nowhere.

So...I was able to determine that the fault lies with the AC/DC
converter ("wall-wart"). It's rated at 200mA and 14.5VDC, but at the
moment it's putting out essentially 0VDC (verified with my
multitester). I went to Radio Shack and purchased a 15VDC 1A wall wart,
with the intent of cutting and splicing it to the charger, but when I
tested it's output myself, it's actually kicking out 20.33VDC. This
seems high.

What happens if I solder a 20.33VDC output to a charger that's used to
operating with 14.5VDC? Will it damage the battery? Cause an explosion?
Other deleterious effects?

Radio Shack also had a (rated) 12VDC wall-wart. If it runs hot like the
15VDC version does, I might actually get pretty close to 14.5VDC. Would
that be a better idea? Do the outputs from these low-grade AC/DC
converters always vary that much from their rated output? And does
anyone sell converters that will match the OEM one fairly closely?

ff