Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.homepower
daestrom

Default Honda eu 2000 Generator

wrote in message
Vaughn wrote:

The ground isn't bonded to the neutral, with 60 volts from each pin to
neutral, so a grounded plug into a wall socket would damage the
inverter,
so it needs to float or use an external isolation transformer.

Nonsense. I plug mine into my transfer panal all the time.

Hmmm... IIRC, the EU2000 user's manual mentions this...

I stand corrected. The note on page 14 of the on-line user's manual says
the receptacle grounds are connected to the frame, and the wiring diagram
on page 54 shows that, but I couldn't find any warning not to connect the
rectangular pins to the ground, and Vaughn does this, so it seems OK :-)

For a lot of 'temporary' power sources that are meant to be connected into a
regular utility fed service panel, it is common to leave the 'ground' and
'neutral' separated by the manufacturer. This gives you the most flexible
configuration.

In some code installations, the ground is tied to the service panel ground,
and the neutral tied just to the panel neutral. And then the two are tied
together in the service panel only. This type of connection allows for
three-conductor transfer switch that switches two 'hots' and the neutral
between grid and emergency power source.

If the local power source has the neutral tied to ground at the
generator/inverter, then when connected to the main service panel you have
two ground-neutral ties (one at source, one at panel) and that's generally a
bad thing.

If the local generator/inverter is meant to be the sole source of power,
then it can have neutral and ground tied at the source.

It all varies with whether the inverter feeds the main panel or a sub-panel,
whether it's the sole power source or there's a transfer switch from grid
power, etc...

With an output that is isolated from the ground, it isn't unusual to read
about 1/2 the voltage output between 'hot' and a ground, but the exact
reading depends on the meter and amount of circuitry. It's really just a
form of 'leakage' and not a 'hard' reading.

daestrom