Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob S

Default New general workbench project NEED HELP!!

"realeyz" wrote in message
. ..
Hi guys!
I am somewhat new to woodworking and have been spending a lot of time
designing this bench. It will be permanent and attached to the garage
walls. This isnt a woodworking bench speciically (I will build one of
those later for the center of the garage) I would like to get some
feedback and suggestions on wood types and other possible
considerations for the construction. I want the wood to be heavy but
not too expensive (maybe cedar). The dimensions are 40" high and one
half of the L is 30" deep and the other is 24" deep. So far I think I
am about 90% done with the design and just trying to polish up the
engineering of the bench and details for wood stock and hardware. The
bench will be anchored to the wall via lag screws and cement fasteners
for the lower foundation section supports (the lower 2 feet of the
walls are cement foundation). Some of the sections I am not sure how
to fasten yet, but am working it out. I have looked at a ton of other
designs and photos so that is a big help.

http://realeyz.com/misc/workbench3d_3.jpg

So let me know what you all think - I would love to get some
suggestions if you have any. I can show any view needed with the top
removed or whatever in order to more fully explore the design. I may
also build some shelves in the sections below the bench top.
Its great to be here and I look forward to hearing your thoughts. BTW
the software I used for the design is Maya in case anyone wants to
know.

- todd

Todd,

Nice rendering. As someone else already mentioned - more drawers. You
could place two sets of drawers at the "L" and do away with the support
post. Drawers left and right. While only one drawer could be opened (left
or right side) the frame becomes the support for the bench. Also consider
adding a shelf below the bench and on top of that ledger board that is
attached to the wall.

Bob S.