Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith

Default Building a table using Cherry

It's from Ethan Allen and was dark when it arrived. Thanks for all the
suggestions and I'm going to give it a try.

"Toller" wrote:

"Keith" wrote in message
.. .
My wife wants a end table for the bedroom and would like it to match our
existing bedroom set which is cherry also. The cherry is a very dark color
more
like walnut but as I have never using cherry before I'm not sure if I can
get
cherry that dark. Any suggestions or advice. Thanks again

I had to match an Ethan Allen cherry chest that was a very dark brown. They
use tinted lacquer.
I found a medium dye followed by a medium stain gave perfect results.
Either a dark dye or a dark stain were very wrong.
It takes a certain amount of trial to get it right.

Was your bedroom set light when you bought it, and it has gotten darker over
the years? Then ignore the above and put your new end table out in the sun
for while to darken.