Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

Default If You Label, They Will Crush

wrote in message
I guess this turns on the meaning of 'sufficient'.

50,000 packages delivered with none damaged implies a sufficient
margin of safety.

Exactly, but some idiot wanted a new design because if failed a trumped up
"test" that was overkill.

In real life, you do increase the margin of safety as the cost of the
product goes up. If, out of 50,000 shipments of a $100 item you had three
failures, that is not so bad. OTOH, if you had that many failures on a
$75,000 item, you should be looking for the cause. It is not always
packaging. I know of one instance with a computer company that was going to
spend $20 per unit on a package and it was not working so they had a $50
unit designed. Then someone put a 5¢ screw in the part breaking lose and
cut the packaging down to $15.