Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul K. Dickman

Default Making a perfect snow shovel

"Greg O" wrote in message

In my humble opinion the Yo-ho steel pusher shovels kick but for general
use. When you need to do some serious shoveling I also use an aluminum
scoop shovel farmer use for moving grain. Both are partially shown on this
page, upper right is the grain scoop, lower right is the pusher.

http://www.yo-ho.com/

I just retired my first Yo-ho pusher I bought back in '81. I replaced it
with the same. The old one's blade was worn to about 1/2 of new!

When they both fail me I get out my 10 HP Toro!
Greg

Excellent choices.

Here in Chicago, we have 40 different words for snow and at least 35 of them
should not be used in mixed company.

The problem with snow shovels is that you need two of them. One for pushing
and one for lifting.
The classic ribbed steel snow shovel is an attempt to combine them. If your
normal snow removal involves light fluffy drifts, their lifting ability is
fine. With a wet or packed snow however, the load is too heavy for either
the shovel or your back.

If I were to make the perfect pusher, it would be made out of 10ga
stainless, the leading edge would be at a slight angle (so that it scowls to
one side) and have the front corners turned up (so it rides over cracks and
joints instead of snagging them. It's handle would be a wheelbarrow handle.

If I were to make the perfect lifting shovel, I wouldn't. Either the
aluminum grain scoop or (my personal favorite) the classic steel coal shovel
are already better than anything I can dream up.

Paul K. Dickman