Posted to uk.d-i-y
Blueyonder

Default B&Q Rejecting Cash?

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On 04 Dec 2005 12:43:43 GMT, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
"Will Hay" writes:
Don't know if anyone else has had this experience recently but when I
tried
to buy some doors recently from my local B&Q in Leeds(On the ring road)
they
rejected some of the £20 notes I offered because the Queen's Head
watermark
was not dead centre in it's circle! The bank where I got the money from
told
me that the notes were absolutely genuine. While I was at B&Q I saw two
other people having their notes rejected. If I needed any additional
incentive not to shop at B&Q apart from the rip-off prices, this
cavalier
humiliation of their customers is the final straw.

Makes me wonder -- IANAL, but if you offered valid legal tender for
the goods, I rather suspect they would find it very difficult to
prosecute you if you just walked off with them.

Not sure about that.

The display of the goods on the shelf and you picking them up and
taking them to the register is, I believe, all part of the "invitation
to treat".

They are not required to sell them to you, and the contract of sale
begins when they accept payment.

Does it not start once it is rung through the till? If you come up with the
payment, then I can't see how they can refuse to let you take the goods
away. They may argue that the notes are forged, and if they are then you are
in trouble (i.e. you have broken the contract). However once you have handed
those notes over, and they are valid and legal, then that door is yours,
surely, otherwise B&Q are just changing their mind after you have bought the
thing. Just run for it, door under arm! ;-)

Of course, IANAL and all that...

-- JJ