Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.d-i-y,sci.engr.lighting
Victor Roberts

Default Unsafe UV from high-power tungsten halogen in office?

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 13:02:56 GMT, JS
wrote:

On Fri 02 Dec 2005 11:49:37, Victor Roberts
wrote:

Tri-phospher as someone has suggested are totally different to
normal tubes the light is intense enough to make looking at them
very uncomfortable

It's probably not the tri-phosphor but the tube diameter.
Modern T5 lamps, not the old switch-start variety, have a
high surface brightness, and T8 lamps have a higher surface
brightness than T12 lamps, but not so high that most people
will be uncomfortable looking at them. You can also find T12
lamps with tri-phosphor, but they are rather expensive.

I am newbie when it comes to lighting. I have not come across these
T lamp bulbs.

Is there a web page which show pictures or diagrams of the T lamps
(T5, T8, etc) so I can see how they differ from one another.

Google gives me lots of hits but nothing which illutrates or compares
these lights on a single page.

Sorry. The T stands for tubular and the number, at least in
the US, gives the diameter in 1/8" increments. A T8 lamp is
a tubular lamp with a diameter of 1 inch. A T12 lamp has a
diameter of 1.5 inches. A T5 lamp has a diameter of 5/8
inch.

--
Vic Roberts
http://www.RobertsResearchInc.com

This information is provided for educational purposes only.
It may not be used in any publication or posted on any Web
site without written permission.