Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rubbish disposal, government regs and local councils

On 04 Dec 2005 12:13:16 GMT, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
writes:

Many local authorities would offer brown, green, clear bottle banks.

All the ones I've seen do.

It seems that nearly all local authorities still collect the glass
separately. However, it can end up all being transferred into a single
lorry.

However, all the glass would be emptied into one single truck because
joe public is too stupid to put the bottles in the correct banks. The
glass is then sold as mixed.

Maybe that varies by location?

A friend who worked for a local authority said he was unaware of any
local authorities who were able to offer clear glass than was less
than 7% contaminated.

It doesn't surprise me. I regularly see idiots using the bottle bank
who stick the whole lot into just one bank.

Graham