Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Tomlinson

Default Rubbish disposal, government regs and local councils

In article , Andy Hall
writes

Without thinking about the detailed economics, somebody has at least
thought about that and turned a problem into an opportunity.

I agree, though can't help idly wondering whether the benefit to the
environment is offset by the manufacture and distribution of the half-
ton woven re-usable plastic bags for collecting the waste (distributed
free to every household, whether they wanted it or not, by the council),
the fuel used by the trucks to collect and empty the bags, and the fuel
used by people going to and from the central point used to distribute
the resultant compost.

My suspicion is that all this garden waste is weighed and used by the
council to offset the tax they will be paying on recycling vs. landfill
ratios next year, as mentioned earlier in the thread. And as the bags
are open and the waste gets wet, it weighs more...

However, you
have to go to the council offices, where there is no parking, to buy
them for a pound each.

Typical council mentality.

Either that, or take the whole lot to the
tip.

Our local tip has a crusher for "green waste", which is presumably also
composted. I used it a lot earlier this year, before the collection
service came into being.