Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rubbish disposal, government regs and local councils

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 00:30:35 +0000 (UTC), Frank Erskine
wrote:

We've had the same thing for a while now. They expect you to cut
windows out of envelopes before "recycling" them. Sod that.

I rarely use the recycling box - I walk a couple of hundred yards to
Sainsbury's where there are recycling bin-type-thingies.

And I rinse jars out, but never wash up cans.

Apparently, clear glass is the most valuable of brown, green and clear
glass.

However, if bottle banked clear glass is contaminated by more than 7%
with coloured glass then it is not worth so much. (7% figure is taken
from several years ago - it may have changed and may vary from
location to location).

Many local authorities would offer brown, green, clear bottle banks.
However, all the glass would be emptied into one single truck because
joe public is too stupid to put the bottles in the correct banks. The
glass is then sold as mixed.

Graham