Posted to uk.d-i-y
Egremont

Default Rubbish disposal, government regs and local councils

In 1977 I brought my fridge. Its now knackered. Doesnt cool and needs to be
replaced. So I replaced it. Council officer told me I should not have
replaced it - I am an ecologically unfriendly person for getting rid of an
old appliance!

I thought old fridges were inefficient, so it would be environmentally
unfriendly to keep it in use even if repaired. Fridges that run but don't
cool usually do so because they have leaked some or all of the coolant gas
already.

BTW I have 3 half-full cans of foam filler, with the nozzles bunged up. I
asked my council if they have a hazardous waste facility for these, they
said to chuck in the wheelie bin. Does this sound wise?.

Egremont.