Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

Default WalMart redux

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
On 3 Dec 2005 17:57:02 -0800, "A.M. Wood"
wrote:

"In most cases, transactions this large are handled via purchase
orders, so the fact
someone had shown up with a check that large may have pegged the
suspicion
meter."

Payment is still made by check.

While that is true, it is also true that the checks issued through
purchase orders are issued by the appropriate financial departments of the
company issuing the purchase order and generally sent via mail to the
financial receiving department of the company with whom the purchase order
was placed. In my experience, it would be very unusual for a person to
deliver a check in person.

Say what? This is a frigging Wal-Mart, not a machine shop. It's a low to
lower quality retail store, not some office supplies outfit. I would assume
that the check was issued by GAF's appropriate department. You do NOT mail
checks to a retail store unless it's a mail order store. No mention was made
of a PO, so I have no idea if one was involved. Delivering a check in person
is how we buy at retail stores. It is how probably 50% of Wal-Mart customers
buy. The only discordant note here was the size of the check. The product
had been ordered and printed for the particular employees.

You mentioned dress: I do not know how the HR manager was dressed, but in
IME, HR types tend to dress up a bit more than other corporate employees,
some of them being almost as natty as Don Guillard at Woodcraft.