Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

Default The Essential Workbench Article?

TA,

Thanks for the reply. Not longwinded at all. I like the idea of recessing the front vise into the apron. I will probably do
likewise with my ShopFox quick release.

I may keep the main part of the benchtop under 20" so I can run it through my 20" planer after I glue it up to get it flat. With
an 8/4 skirt all the way around, this will give me a bench width of about 23". My other option would be to glue up a wider bechtop
in 2 panels and then edge gluing them after running the panels through the planer. I really wanted a 30" wide top so I may go with
the latter option. Still thinking.

-jj

My top will be 26-1/4" deep for 15 maple boards that are 8/4 stock (= 1.3/4") as thick
(1-3/4" X 15 = 26-1/4")(no tool trough), each standing up and about 2" (or less) thick
as the whole top. So, it'll be hand planed when it becomes whole. There will be 3 rows
of dog holes (or two), 1" x 1" each, all hand sawed and chiseled out, each section of the
two boards that make up the row will be individualy glued together, then integrated into
the gang-gluing of the whole top, after. Still debating with myself about threaded rod
for front to back. Charlie Belden did it with his "Das Bench"!

Remember to pay attention to the direction of the grain when gluing-up and then planing
no matter how you do it, as I am right handed, it will be travelling up and toward the left,
as I am facing the front of the bench. It all must* go in the same direction that way. Then,
no chip-out.

I am a newby.

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker