Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

Default WalMart redux

Larry Jaques said:

On 3 Dec 2005 12:52:17 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Charlie
Self" quickly quoth:

I hope the HR manager grabs a large pot of beans off WalMart's legal
stove with this one, and sues the living **** out of the deputy and the
municipality for which acts as a paid thug.

A definite injustice was done, but hoping that a city and a
corporation get sued for something that an employee of each
did to the poor guy is simply NOT the way to fix it, Charlie.
The person who called the cops/got the guy arrested and, if
warranted, the cop, should be held responsible, not the companies
they work for. That's just downright idiotic.

It's stupid and the "right thing" seems like it would be common sense,
but it ain't the way civil tort law works. Years ago, I poured over
tombs of civil actions for false imprisonment, malicious prosecution
and false arrest in both state records and on WestLaw - and you
wouldn't believe some of the court and jury decisions. You have cases
where criminals caught in the act win judgments, but legitimately
damaged innocents receive nothing. It's all a big load of crap - and
the courts are inconsistent in application and are totally lacking in
reasonable common sense.

And in most jurisdictions (around here, anyway) municipalities are
immune from any liability in all but the most egregious cases.
Few have the resources to pursue a case beyond the local levels where
such things are simply "covered-up".

BTW, Sheriff's departments and other law enforcement and fire
officials are generally also considered an arm of the court - in these
here parts, anyway...

As one judge told me, we are all "Brothers and Sisters of the Bar".
Meaning that they cover each others asses to the detriment of yours.
And this includes cronies, contributors, and family members.

Well, except for the insurance companies and lawyers who all charge
their highest rates for the privilege.

Guaranteed! Soulless *******s...

Greg G.