Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Danniken

Default Can thermal shock crack cast iron?

"Cydrome Leader" wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:

Of course, the cold water in hot pan technique had quite unexpected

results
on a copper bottom SS pan:
http://66.36.231.224/~jonnycat/Ecko.jpg

So what happened? I cannot tell from the picture.

Lodge (maker of cast iron cookware) warms about heating or cooling
their stuff too fast as it may crack. I heat my griddle slowly as it's
fairly large and can take a while to heat up at the edges.

That dimple just above the Ecko is convex in that perspective, projecting
about 1/2" from the normal plane. It recovered with a few well placed blows
(with the interior braced on a post), but it was kind of funny how it popped
out like that (at least to me).

Jon