Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal

Default building a (small) vacuum chamber-type device

In article . com,
"bschwand" wrote:

Thank you for setting me in the right direction. It would not be high
vacuum, probably at most 0.1 atmosphere. The spark plug idea is
brilliant, I'll try that and see if it works. I'll do some googling
about vacuum and feedthroughs.

That isn't even low vacuum in most labs. Plain old epoxy, or mechanical
seals with teflon (or the spark plugs) should be fine for your
application - when people are concerned about outgassing, it's generally
at pressures a million, billion, or trillon times lower than where you
are working...

Where I mostly worked, "low vacuum" was in the 1-300 milliTorr range. 1
atmosphere is about 760 Torr. Most of what that lab considered high
vacuum was in the 10e-6 10e-7 Torr range; there are places which
consider that pretty high, and commonly work in the 10e-12 or -13 range.
Those people have outgassing concerns.

At 76 Torr, outgassing is not likely to be a significant issue.