Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Used Drywall Compound To Hang Shower Tile

SathurianMews wrote:
Listen up stupid american useless idiot! Use thinset or the tiles will fall
off before china becomes your master.
"Rich" wrote in message
g.com...

"Tom Walz" wrote in message
OK, I know, I'm stupid.

I just realized that I did one wall of my shower using drywall compound
instead of thinset as an adhesive. In my defense, the buckets look
similar....

The question is, am I screwed? Do I need to take down all of the tiles
in question and rehang using the proper adhesive? The tile was put up
over cement board, so, even if the grout fails and water gets behind the
tile, it seems to me that the worst that would happen is the tile would
come loose and I'd have to reattach it (using the proper adhesive, of
course!).

I know the proper thing to do would be to start over, but I really don't
want to have to do that unless I have to.

Any opinions from the experts out there? Thanks in advance.

You could take them down now or wait until they start coming down by
themselves in a few weeks.

Greetings SathurianMews,

From what country do you hail?

William