Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

Default Heat pump question...

"CBHVAC" wrote in message

"Eric" wrote in message
news:7wrkf.2190$SM5.1420@dukeread02...

I have a 5 year old Furnace/AC system (York). It was whatever the

builder
selected, meaning it is the cheapest thing they could get away with, and

didn't have any input in what they were going to use. The furnace is
gas - 80% efficient. The AC compressor is 10 SEER. Nothing special at
all. It is the cost of gas that has me thinking, plus concerns that a
year from now gas prices will be even higher, but electricity is going

up
too...

IF you have a Diamond 80, and an Olympian unit, they are not bad, but the
warrantys gone on the condensor.
And you are right...most builders tell us to put in the cheapest stuff we
have, unless its a high end home....thankfully, most are getting the

picture
now and installing 14SEER units or better.
At least the ones we work with are.

I guess what I am wondering is whether it would pay to replace the AC

unit
with a high-efficiency heat pump. Keep the gas furnace, but have it
configured to only run as a backup. I guess the first question is

whether
I would be automatically required to replace the furnace at the same

time,
or whether it would be possible and sensible to substitute a new heat

pump
for an older AC system and keep the furnace the same.

Its a fact...that the new 13SEER ruling is about to screw up alot of

hacks,
and make homeowners miserable.
IF the original installer used a factory York coil, the coil can be made

work with up to a 12 SEER only...and thats now obsolete..so..you are

looking
at a new coil.
Most ANY brand, York included, requires different airflow than your

current
furnace can provide, so thats out too.
You COULD get a 12 SEER unit, run a dual fuel control, and have the gas as
your second stage heat...we do it all the time...

Part of me wants to say that getting rid of a 5 year old AC compressor

is
wasteful, but the thing is already wasteful as it is. Is there any
sensible use for a 5-year old compressor other than as a boat anchor?

Depending on your part of the country that you live, you may NEVER recoup
the difference in price savings by going to a higher SEER unit...and keep

in
mind, you are not shopping SEER with a heat pump..you are shopping for the
highest HSPF number you can afford.
You put say....the top of the line York Affinity 16.5+ SEER unit on that
existing setup....and you still have about 10 SEER.
Match it properly, with a VS air handler and the right strips, and you get
the HSPF and SEER you paid for.

Now...as your logic goes, its a good idea to think higher performance and
savings...and I can tell you that you can save alot, but depending on your
area, use, and such, it might not pay off.
Im a York dealer, I have a 3 year old Olympian 14SEER unit..its about to

get
changed out with a 14SEER Affinity..simply cause I can..LOL..but thats

also
because I love the looks, and teh fact that I can put different panels on
it, and that includes ACC teams if I want..got to use it for
advertising..but again....shop around and remember, the install, DOES
matter.

Anyone else have any words of wisdom?

well stated

http://www.hvacopcost.com/

http://198.147.238.24/ac_calc/default.asp

A lot depends on what you spend for energy and how long you plan on staying
in your home.