Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

Default Roof / Drip Edge / Fascia

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you for your reply. Sorry for the lack of clarity. You are
correct in your assumption. When there is a hard rain, or even just a
good steady one, water gets into my crawlspace (actually a large,
unfinished basement with dirt floor). My house has blockwork on stepped
footings. When I bought the house there was not a square inch of
efflorescence on the blockwork. About two years after the purchase,
efflorescence appeared on most of the blockwork. I need to re-grade
along the front of the house (the side with the worst water problem).
But, it's not as if there is a severe grade running down to the front.
The grade goes downhill into the neighbor's property. Anyway, my
downspouts do empty onto splashblocks that angle away from the house.
My gutters are tight against the fascia and do angle toward the
downspouts. (Of course, I might be looking at a matter of degree being
part of the problem here). The asphalt shingles have drooped down but
are pretty-much aimed at the middle of the gutter valley, so it doesn't
seem (to this admittedly ignorant homeowner) that water running behind
the gutter would likely be the problem.
My area gets some monsterous gully-washers in spring and summer. When
those come I often have running water in the crawlspace. Can this
really be the result of water pressure from groundwater? (The water
does seem to exit the blockwork/footings into the crawlspace below
ground level). I'm going to do the tar / visquine / french drain thing
along the front next spring just to be on the safe side. But, I was
assuming that the rain was getting into the blockwork through the gap
between the roof decking and the fascia. (Yep. I know about
assumptions.)
Thanks for your consideration and response(s).

Based on this reply I think you have a ground water problem. Some early
spring work regarding may solve your problem.

A good test is to lay a hose running full blast on the high side of the area
you are having a problem with and then watch where the water goes. Your
neighbors like mine did will then you are crazy. You will be surprised at
what you learn.

Moving 6" of dirt by however many feet to channel the water may make the
difference you need. The water needs to flow away from and around your home.

Colbyt