Posted to alt.home.repair
Norm Dion

Default Shower wall composition/thickness

Yes, I definitely intend to drill into a stud. But my original question was
what can
I expect to encounter on the way to those studs, and how thick.
It's important in helping me locate the studs behind the tiled surface.

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
Norm Dion wrote:
I'm getting ready to install a safety grab bar on the wall of my shower,
which is lined with ceramic tile.
The house dates to the early 1960's. What am I likely to be drilling
through
between the tile and the wall studs?

You should be hitting the studs or you will be installing a towel rack,
not a safety grab bar. Some people will tell you that toggle bolts or
some such will be adequate, but you'll be compromising safety that way.
The only time I would use toggle bolts would be on one of the L-shaped
grab bars that wrapped a corner or had a vertical and horizontal leg
and you couldn't hit a stud every time.

I'm not sure why manufacturers insist on making 18" grab bars when
studs are on 16" centers. Pretty silly.