Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.dcom.xdsl
Peter

Default Electrically isolating network hardware from dehumidifier: isolation transformer or line conditioner?

Hi Roger,

I've narrowed my choices down to either an isolation transformer:

http://www.tripplite.com/products/pr...?productID=227

or a line conditioner:

http://www.tripplite.com/products/pr...?productID=208

I had a simlar problem with my 3 x PC's at my home, long tern stabilty
issues relating to AC supply "noise". An AC Power Filter removed the
major part of the noise (spikes, surges, etc) from the line, but not
the "short term" (.5 - 2 second) "hits". Plus after 5 years the Power
Filter stopped being effective and actually resutlerd in premature
failure of 2 x Power supplies in 2 machines util I worked out what was
going on..

I then invested in a small UPS and all 3 amchines have been perfect
(IE 100%) since then (justover 3 years so far). Yes, I have had AC
outages longer than the battery life (~25 mins), but anything less has
been 100% convered. I can definately recommend a good small UPS
(~500VA capacity per PC). The hard part is sizing the unit for your
particular environment.

Good luck...............pk.

--
Peter from Auckland.