Posted to comp.dcom.xdsl,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc,comp.os.linux.hardware
Al Dykes

Default Electrically isolating network hardware from dehumidifier: isolation transformer or line conditioner?

In article ,
Charles Schuler wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Hi. I have a dehumidifier plugged into the same electrical outlet as my
DSL router and wireless router. I want to electrically isolate the DSL
and wireless units from the on/off switching of the dehumidifier. The
dehumidifier has a big electric motor inside of it, and I've read that
the on/off action of that motor kicks electrical garbage backwards into
the line and can affect my electronics.

You most likely do not need any isolation. Your routers have power supplies
with big capacitors that will absorb reasonable transients. I lean toward
protecting the entire building or home with a transient suppressor at the
main power panel.

it doesn't hurt to put the smallest name-brand UPS you can lay your
hands on in front of the DSL modem and router. I was able to use the
internet with my laptop for the entire 24 hours of the last big
blackout because that's how I was wired.

I had a *big* ups for my desktop system, which I shut down as soon as
the power quit. I ran the laptop and the DSL connection off the big
UPS for the next day, easily.

Nothing, short of a direct lightning hit, that happens to your DSL
router can be propagated to your PC or any other LAN devices.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.