Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

Default WalMart redux

"Han" wrote in message
"Charlie Self" wrote in news:1133643137.529629.98290
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I read a story in today's Roanoke paper that says a Tampa, FL WalMart
managed to stick its footsies in the fire again. The store staff
checked ID--driver's license, business card, a call to the company
accountant--for a human resources manager for GAF, but decided to hold
on to his $13,600 company check, and the 530+ WM gift cards he'd had
pre-printed for his employees, while they called the cops. When the
cops got there, one of them grabbed the guy, and told them, "We need to
see about that forged check you brought in here."

The HR manager is black. The check is good.

It was spent at Target, according to the story.

I hope the HR manager grabs a large pot of beans off WalMart's legal
stove with this one, and sues the living **** out of the deputy and the
municipality for which acts as a paid thug.

I agree with your wish of bewns for the HR manager, but I have a thought:
With a $10K limit above which monetary transactions have to be reported
to thwe Feds somewhere somehow, would it not have been wise to call ahead
and see whether a check would be acceptable payment?

By the way, it brings to mind The first chekc I ever presented to Sears,
not long after opening our first checking account in Cambridge, MA in
1969. I was asked for my driver's license, and produced it. Guess they
had never seen a Dutch license at Sears on Mass Ave (since gone). I
didn't yet have a Mass license, and they were a bit taken aback by this
sheet of hot pink, measuring about 4 x 11" (wide). We still have some of
the pans from that first household purchase in the US.

The order was placed earlier...it didn't say how much earlier. Regardless of
what the Feds want, Wal-Mart is not an enforcement arm, and GAF is a major
company, so you'd think that their check, assurances of the guy's business
card and ID and a call to the company accountant would suffice. This was NOT
a personal check.

Obviously not.