Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal

Default building a (small) vacuum chamber-type device

In article .com,
"bschwand" wrote:

So basically I need a gas tight enclosure, probably stainless steel or
some other non-reactive metal, with some gas ports on it to fill and
empty it (no problem), a door to swap the device inside (no problem),
some ports for electrical connections (problem).

Pretty standard chamber, electrical feedthroughs included. I worked in
labs where we ran 12-20 lines of coax from various plasma experiments in
similar chambers.

I do not know how to make an electrically insulated, vacuum and heat
resistant electrical port. The material of the port needs to be as
inert and heat resistant as possible, it can not release gases or any
contaminant under vacuum (thus drilling a hole in the chamber, putting
a rod through and sealing it with epoxy or any resin won't work). I
thought of using glass, but I can not fuse the glass to the metal
because of the different thermal expansion rate of glass and metal.

feedthroughs are standard parts in the vacuum biz. They have special
glass, metal and/or ceramics to deal with the expansion issue. I think
the shop a few miles away is ceramaseal (one of many locations for that
brand), there are many others. On the crude DIY front, try a sparkplug...