Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

Default Removing taper pins from a clock mechanism

Bob May wrote:
Need to use some stout small needle nosed pliwrs. If possible, push the
small end a bit to see if it comes out that way if you have the room. If
not, the it is just pull on the fat end.
A set ofo flush cutters can also be used but don't try to close them too
hard. Clamping right at the post and using it as leverage is a good way in
either case.
I've also seen pliers with a hole in the end to hold the pin but they are
quite rare.
I've done a bit of work on pre 1850 watches so I know exactly what your
problems are.
As to the spring, if the break is in the middle, just untemper (an alcholol
flame is what the pros use( for about 3/8" either side of the break and do a
slot in one side of 1/3 of the width of the spring and a tounge wiht an
arrowhead on it on the other piece and just slip them to9gether. At least,
that is what the pros that I've seen do it. For the ends, you just reform
the end instead of making the hole and head.

Thanks for the advice. I had the neat idea of trying to remove the taper
pins with a pop rivet tool, but I can't get the tool close enough. I
guess I'll have to make do with pliers or make a tool myself. Do you
know what those special pliers with a hole in them are called?

I also hadn't thought of repairing the spring. I was going to get a new one.

Best wishes,

Chris